Monday 17 December 2007

It Was Ten Years Ago Today

Blogging is ten years old today.

According to Wikipedia, the term "weblog" was invented by Jorn Barger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorn_Barger) on 17 December 1997.

The short form, "blog," was coined by Peter Merholz, who jokingly broke the word weblog into the phrase we blog in the sidebar of his blog Peterme.com in April or May of 1999. Over 100 million people now blog.

People who know tell me that the proper gifts for a tenth anniversary of a relationship are:

  1. Anything silver or blue.
  2. Any gifts that are tin or aluminum. (The pliability of tin and aluminum is a symbol of how a successful marriage needs to be flexible and durable and how it can be bent without being broken. )
  3. Daffodils. Trumpet-shaped daffodils represent joy, cheerfulness, and happiness

Happy anniversary to all of you - especially Stowe Boyd for telling me the good news, and Jorn Barger, whereever he is - and thanks for all the gifts you give by blogging.

3 comments:

I, Like The View said...

she almost deleted her blog yesterday. . .

:-(

. . .thank goodness she didn't!

:-)

but the cat's mother had linked you now (as you have kindly linked me - much appreaciated!)

;-)

I, Like The View said...

(why oh why don't they put spell checkers in these comment boxes????)

I, Like The View said...

(oh, you need to change the time in your time settings to GMT or British Summertime or something or other - I have no idea what the time is as my watch broke, but I know it is NOT two in the afternoon!)