Tuesday 7 July 2009

It's Raining Today

[Rain in the night...
I awake to the sound of it at my window.
The air is cool and clear.
And by ten o'clock, the sun is shining again.
I love the summer when it's like this.
]

It's raining today
and I'm just about to forget
The train window girl
That wonderful day we met
She smiles through the smoke
From my cigarette
It's raining today.

But once ...
There was summer and you
And dark little rooms
And sleep in late afternoons
Those moments descend
On my window-pane.

I've hung around here too long
Listenin' to the old landlady's
Hard-luck stories
You out of me
Me out of you
We go like lovers
To replace
The empty space
Repeat our dreams to someone new.

It's raining today
And I watch the cellophane streets
No hang-ups for me
Cause hang-ups need company
The street corner girl's
A cold, trembling leaf
It's raining today
It's raining today
SCOTT WALKER

No comments: